Cape Breton University (CBU), based in Sydney, Canada, is helping international students realize their dream of studying in Canada. The university, which is government-approved and an ordinary (full) member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC), is offering entry-level scholarships to assist international students financially. The opportunity is aimed at students wanting to pursue undergraduate studies in Canada.
But is CBU worth it?
Before getting into the scholarship, we think it’s important for you to know everything there is about CBU. The university was established in 1951 and is made up of three institutions — the Xavier Junior College, Nova Scotia Eastern Institute of Technology, and the College of Cape Breton. Those schools are currently home to over 5000 students combined from more than 40 countries. CBU offers courses in almost every field, but the ones in business, liberal arts, science, technology, education, and health and wellness are more popular.
The university also offers multiple programs, including undergraduate degree programs, postgraduate degree programs, and diploma programs. Students can pick from subjects like anthropology, dramatic literature, English, folklore, mathematics, information technology, history, and environmental studies.
Coming to the location and campus, CBU is located in Sydney, which is a municipality in the beautiful Cape Breton Island. It is surrounded by captivating landscapes spread over thousands of miles. There’s minimum fuss in and around the campus, which allows students time and space to contemplate ideas. The campus, meanwhile, covers 17,000 square feet and includes CBU Art Gallery, Cape Breton Health Recreation Complex, the Verschuren Centre, Canada Games Complex, and Max Bell Health Centre.
As far as CBU’s ranking is concerned, it was ranked 19th by MacLean’s all over Canada. That makes it one of the most prominent names in Canada’s education system.
Enrolling yourself in an undergraduate course at CBU is great for your career, as well as your finances. The university offers fantastic scholarships for international students that liberates them financially and helps them focus on academics. You can apply for entry-level scholarships at CBU if you’re planning to take a course in the following fields.
8. Visual Studies
Eligibility criteria for entry-level scholarships
While the entry-level scholarship is open for all international students wanting to pursue undergraduate studies at CBU, students must meet the following basic requirements.
● Must be an international student.
● If you’re entering from high school, you should not have failures in Grade 11 or 12 courses.
● Have scores above average (minimum 85%) in Grade 11 and 12 courses. The average is based on all AC & AD Grade 11 courses, and all AC & AD completed Grade 12 courses after the first semester. The average will be determined by CBU.
● ESL conditional offers must attend a CBU English language partner school for the award.
Documents required for entry-level scholarships
Before applying for this scholarship, international students must have the following documents with them.
● Official transcript
● Financial need application
● Completed entrance scholarship application
Language requirement for entry-level scholarship
Students must prove their proficiency in English to avail the benefits of this scholarship. Applicants must have either of the following.
● TOEFL score of 550 (paper test), 213 (computer test), or 80 (internet test)
● IELTS Academic (and IELTS Indicator) score of 6.5, with no band below 6.0
● CAEL score of 60 (this includes CAEL Online)
● MELAB score of 85
● Pearson PTE (Academic) score of 59
● CanTEST score of 4.5 (reading & listening), 4.0 (writing)
● Duolingo English Test score of 115 for undergraduate programs, diplomas, and certificates.
How to apply for entry-level scholarships at CBU?
International students can apply for entry-level scholarships at CBU online. Follow the steps below in order.
● Visit CBU’s official website and search for the entry-level scholarship application form. Fill the form with the required details.
● Submit the form, along with the following documents.
1. High school diploma certificate
2. School transcripts
3. Transcripts from prior schools, if applicable
4. Post-secondary transcription
5. Official survey results
6. Start/course vitae
7. Financial need application for those interested in bursaries